Zumba. We have all heard of it, but what exactly is it, and is it an effective tool for fat loss?
Zumba, for those that don’t know, is a Latin inspired dance fitness programme that is the most popular of its kind. Apparently, there are now over 110,000 locations in 125 countries doing Zumba on a weekly basis. So, we know it is popular, and I have no doubt it is great fun if you like to dance, which I do. Even the most uncoordinated individual likes to bust some shapes after a few drinks…but will it burn body fat? My answer is a resounding NO!
Let’s look at the best ways to burn fat in order, and see where Zumba fits.
- Heavy weight training – Builds muscle and burns fat in males and females alike. Raises metabolic rate for 48 hours after the workout leading to extended fat loss benefits.
- HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) – eg. Sprint 30 seconds, walk for 1 minute x 6 – 10 times. Very effective at fat burning, also extended fat loss after the workout. Boot camp is a form of HIIT.
- Tabata training – an extension of HIIT. Click here to learn about TABATA
- Extended cardio – fairly high intensity – eg. steady run or jog for 40 – 60 minutes. Will use calories but won’t burn much fat and no extended fat loss after the workout.
- Aerobics classes – eg. step, aerobics, spinning, body blast, legs bums and tums and so on. Good fun, will get you hot and sweaty but virtually zero in terms of fat loss.
Zumba falls into category 5. It’s fun, good for your heart and will get you moving and exercising if you haven’t done much before, but if you really want to burn fat, you need to be doing 1, 2 or 3 in my list above, or ideally a combination of all 3. This isn’t just my opinion, it’s just the way it is. The body utilizes fat as a source of fuel when you perform short, sharp bursts of activity. Please don’t think I have a personal grudge against Zumba. I don’t. What I do want is to let you guys know the very best ways to burn body fat and get the lean body you desire.
Well that’s all from me today. Have a great day and you will hear from me soon.